[Sca-cooks] Bronze Cookware

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Aug 30 08:57:10 PDT 2010

Well, I just discussed this with a friend who's a chemist, and he
brought up some interesting points. What I find interesting is that
even tinning a lead alloy doesn't prevent the lead from migrating.

Phlip,

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that lead will etch out of the
surface of such a vessel whenever anything acid (or maybe also
alkaline) is put in it.

Try this experiment:  Take some yellow brass (not bronze - you want
zinc) scrap.  Grind the surface if it isn't obviously yellow.  Put it
into vinegar + salt  and watch what happens. It will "turn into
copper".  You etch the  zinc out of the surface of the metal, leaving
only the copper to provide the color.

Now, why WOULDN'T this happen also for lead?  Lead solder can easily
be pickled off copper fittings with muriatic acid.

The question remains how deep the pickling will go -- is it possible
to pickle out all the available lead and leave behind a lead-free &
therefore safe surface?  The only way to tell is to experiment, which
means being able to test the pickle solution for lead.  You could read
up on doing that if you like.

An alternative would be to pickle off the surface lead and then tin
the whole surface with 100% pure tin.  You must remove the surface
lead first or it would migrate into the tin coating.

And be aware that metals alloyed with lead are not necessarily
homogeneous.  I understand that the lead will migrate to the surface
of the brass.  California now requires key manufacturers to label
their keys as hazardous because of this unless either they have no
lead or they're coated to prevent lead contamination of the fingers.

Take care,

Bruce