[Sca-cooks] Smoked and Pickled: Sources and Recipes?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 30 22:32:22 PDT 2010

Adamantius wrote:
>It would seem highly plausible that the Turkish version of basturma,
>which is dry-rubbed and air-dried, as I understand it, is probably
>quite old, and also commercially available. Of course, modern
>versions generally include paprika in the rub, but the basic concept
>very likely stems from a much older, Old World friendly, concept...

The only time that the Ottoman Sultan's palace purchased beef in the
15th and 16th centuries was for the making of basturma, once a year.
Unfortunately, i know of no recipe for it nor any description of how
it was made. Clearly in the 15th c. no paprika was involved, and i
suspect not in the 16th either.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita