[Sca-cooks] Sport of Kings, a food stand, and bacon

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 10:02:23 PDT 2010

You might check with the Feds...I think there are programs to help small
businesses like yours get going.  It all sounds very exciting.  It's really
cool to see folks I know being successful in starting their own food-related
businesses.

Kiri

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Michael Gunter <dookgunthar at hotmail.com>wrote:

> > Gunthar needs to come visit (Sport of Kings, dude!). He's break his diet
> > and we'd be forced to keep him!
> >
> > Liutgard
>
> I'll be at Sport of Kings next year.  Sir Olin has asked me to be an
> instructor
> and I happy agreed.
>
> As far as bacon is concerned, I'm kicking around the idea of doing a food
> booth
> at an event coming up where I sell my homemade sausages, English style
> grilled
> cheese sandwiches and BLTs made with my homemade bacon. The BLT's
> will probably have close to half a pound of bacon and be on high quality
> sourdough
> bread with homemade mayo.
>
> Sausages will be served with a period spiced mustard that people around
> here
> really love.
>
> The grilled cheese will also be on artisanal bread with gruyere, cheddar
> and swiss
> cheeses and a touch of dijon mustard. Additions such as tomato, jalapeno,
> grilled
> onion and thin deli ham can be added.
>
> I'll also be serving homemade French Onion Soup with croutons made from the
> heels
> of the artisan breads and shredded gruyere cheese.
>
> None of it period but I have a dream of opening a little stand like this at
> a Farmer's
> Market or the Trade Days site so this would be a trial run. I just want to
> show that
> simple foods like a sausage on a bun, grilled cheese and a BLT can be high
> dining.
>
> I'm still working on the logistics of it and trying to decide if I want to
> make some
> 100 lbs of sausage, 50 lbs of bacon, 20 gallons of French Onion Soup and
> several
> quarts of mustard and mayo. As well as the logistics of storing it all and
> the costs
> of doing it. I have a bit of time to kick the idea around so we'll see if
> it comes about.
>
> Gunthar

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince