[Sca-cooks] A Feast Menu for Commentary

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 7 08:04:59 PDT 2010

The Ottoman were heavily into their sugar items and they paraded them
for a number of festivals.

See http://www.kanyak.com/surname-i-vehbi/yerasimos.html
for descriptions.

Images are here
http://www.kanyak.com/surname-i-vehbi/images.html

I would start out with a mold or a couple of molds if you are doing
elephants
in any quantity. It saves a great deal of time and if the baroness is
going to be
in office for a number of years, the molds can be used for other
feasts through the years
or even presented to her as a gift. You may want to invest a large
mold plus a smaller one.

Cake places have naturalistic elephant molds. I like Tomric plastics
myself but they can be expensive.
They carry professional weight molds for shops and home use. http://www.tomric.com

One book with marvelous pictures is:
The Food Culture of the Ottoman Palace by Gary Oberling and Grace Martin
Smith. Istanbul : Society of Friends of Topkapi Palace Museum, 2001.
Again great illus; good text with footnotes; Lots of information on the
16th century court.

And all my information of course from the 2006 research on Ottoman
sugar is posted on the SCA Subtleties List. That may be of help.

Johnnae