[Sca-cooks] Meaning of weitergart (Mod. Germ.)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Aug 13 20:52:27 PDT 2010

Weiter is essentially later and a common prefix in German, an expression of
continuance.  Gart appears to be the past participle of ga:ren, a verb
meaning to ferment, effervesce or work.

I would have said that gar, meaning cooked (an expression of doneness, nicht
gar meaning undercooked), fits better, but it is an adjective and AFAIK does
not have a tense shift.

Bear