[Sca-cooks] bretzel

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 16:02:19 PDT 2010

Hi Emilio!

The word in English is pretzel.  I kept looking at what you wrote, wondering what a bretzel was, and then it came to me.

The depiction is interesting as it doesn't quite have that regular twist in the middle.

Around the same time as the illustration you speak of, there is yet another depiction in the Hortus Deliciarum, written by Herrad of Landsberg, Abbess of Hohenburg Abbey in Alsace.  You can find the colored illumination here, fourth picture down on the right side.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Herrad_of_Landsberg

There seems to be a lot of speculation as to how old pretzels are.  Some versions say the fifth century A.D., other the seventh century A.D.  But with two illustrations in the 12th century, we can make the assumption it is within the Middle Ages, at least.

Huette