[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Cookin'

Ginny Beatty ginbeatty at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 12:36:26 PDT 2010

Well, I was a busy little bee.
On sunday of war week I did the food coordination for the Queen's Tea
hosted by the Midrealm.
The main savory dish was a Sallet of a cold Hen or Pullet  from The
Accomplisht Ladys Delight by
Hannah Woolley (1672). OOP, but very very tasty. Making a
non-mayonnaise based chicken salad that can withstand Pennsic heat is
always a bonus. The royal guests raved over it.
Other delicacies included biscotti, vegetable trays, white bean
hummus, and lemonade. There were also some sweet baked goods provided
by the new barony of Ayreton and a lovely Midrealm-themed sugar
sculpture (I'll look for pics).

Later that afternoon, I participated in a benefit dinner for 12, using
menu items based on Scappi's menu for the 8th of August, 1570. The
list and menu is long and illustrious, and it was a right noble effort
for the Midrealm cooking laurels and their apprentices. Dame Hauviette
is planning a session for the MK Cook's Symposium about how we
designed and produced this dinner.
Wednesday I cooked for my camp and did a boneless pork loin stuffed
with apples and onions, soaked in beer, and cooked in a dutch oven
over an open fire. Root vegetables were packed in foil and roasted
over the coals.

GwynethB.