[Sca-cooks] Question about kitchen equipment (OP)

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Tue Aug 24 15:29:03 PDT 2010

> Hi Folks,
> a boiling "pot" in the corner with a
> place below for loading in wood; and a "rotisserie" mechanism on the
> fireplace.  >
> So...what do you guys think? Did our ever-intrepid Mr. Jefferson bring
> these
> ideas home as well?
>
> Kiri

I haven't seen the kitchen, but it looks like the area where the boiling
pot is, if I'm understanding you correctly, is a sink for dishwashing.
Given the angle, I can't know for sure :)

Recently I ran across an inventory entry for a 16th century (1590) German
home, that included a "1 eingemauert Siede Kessel" or one walled (or in
the wall) boiling kettle as listed in the kitchen.  I didn't know exactly
what that might have meant but found this 16th century image that might
explain:
http://pics.livejournal.com/jillwheezul/pic/00157dtg
(sorry I can't get this image into a different format than the quicktime one)

It seems from these 2 things above that a setup for boiling water was
known inside the house in SCA period.  Is it the water kettle you find
innovative, or the placement, or both?

Katherine