[Sca-cooks] bretzel, bread and lye oh my

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Aug 25 12:32:50 PDT 2010

> Bear,
>

>>> bread known in 12th century France.  I can't exactly remember the number
>
>>> but 22 is sticking in my head.
>> There were at least 80 types of bread known in 1st Century Rome
>> ands since many of the bakers came from Gaul, I suspect 22 may be
>> a little low.
>
> Could you please expand a bit on the criteria used in distinguishing 80
> types of
> bread. Type of grain? Size? Form? Type of preparation? Ingredients?
> Combinations? What else? Where are they listed?

The information is contained in Athenaeus's The Deipnosophistae.  There is
other information there and scattered through a number of works.  However,
the key work, Chryssipus of Tyana's treatise on breadmaking has been lost.
I keep hoping someone will find a copy.

>> Semmel can be either fine wheat flour or a roll made from fine wheat
>> flour.
>> When your're dealing with Latin, it can mean anything
>> made with fine wheat flour.
>

> I do not recall that german "Semmel" means "fine wheat flour".
>

> In my understanding, "Semmel" is not a Latin word, how can it mean
> something in
> Latin?
>

> I fear I am missing something here. Please forgive.
>

> E.

The full word is Semmelmehl, but Thomas gloning pointed out a few years ago
that some of the references to Semmel in Sabina Welserin are references to
fine flour.

Semmel derives from the Latin "simila" meaning fine flour via the Medieval
Latin "siminellus."

Bear