[Sca-cooks] Looking for medieval joke recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 25 14:22:36 PDT 2010

Found it here-- It's part of the those activities that fall under
table magic.

Porta, Giambattista della, 1535?-1615.

Natural magick by John Baptista Porta, a Neapolitane ; in twenty
books ... wherein are set forth all the riches and delights of the
natural sciences. , London : Printed for Thomas Young and Samuel
Speed ..., 1658.

  (which is the English edition of a work titled Magia Naturalis)

"THE FOURTEENTH BOOK OF Natural Magick: I shall shew some choice
things in the Art of Cookery.

That flesh may look bloody and full of worms, and so be rejected

by smell-feasts. Boil Hares blood, and dry it, and powder it; and cast
the powder upon the meats that are boil'd, which will melt by the heat
and moysture of the meat, that they will seem all bloody, and he will
loath and refuse them. Any man may eat them without any rising of his
stomack. If you cut Harp-strings small, and strew them on hot flesh,
the heat will twist them, and they will move like worms." Page 327
  Hope this helps

Johnnae