[Sca-cooks] The Menu

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 16:16:28 PDT 2010

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

- The Vegetarian did not ask for the omelet, I had made the offer to her weeks
before the dinner to make her one. There were no demands made by the guests of
this dinner.

- The word "pottage" derives from the old french meaning "something in or from a
pot". This does not dictate that it has to have a soup like consistency, and
thus does not necessarily mean that it must be eaten with a spoon.

I would also note that most of the feasts I've enjoyed in the SCA will always
have some vegetarian dishes it helps with dietary concerns as well as help keep
relative costs down for the entire meal. It is not expected that each person
will eat each dish,. Typically, those who wish to participate in the feast are
asked to notify the head cook well in advance if there are any special
considerations... like allergies. Not to make the cooks do any extra work, but
to simply to know if they can or cannot eat a particular dish. Some cooks will
make certain accommodations for people with food allergies or other food
concerns. These cooks do it not because it is expected, but the smile you
receive from one person you do this for makes it worth all the while. This is
far different from inviting people over to dinner in your own  home. The hosts,
in this specific case, were the Baron & Baroness from my Barony. I acted in the
role of their servant for that evening, as a head cook, which I volunteered to
do.

It is unfortunate that not all state dinners are period, but that is solely up
to the person who has volunteered to organize those dinners. When those of us
who do have a passion for period cuisine have the opportunity such as this, then
all the better. Some people love to explore and experience various cuisines.
Some simply just love to cook the foods they grew up with.

 Euriol