[Sca-cooks] Problems with frictelle

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Aug 29 07:38:20 PDT 2010

Is it a question of the rice being used and the starch?
So, what happens if you take regular cooked rice and make a fritter?
Would it work better with a long grained white rice?

Modern versions seem to drop into hot frying oil and fry them like a
modern fritter.
They come out looking like small rounded balls.
http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/frittelle-di-riso.html

The Gillian Riley translation for this recipe instructs
"Using a spoon, make your
fritters small or big, as you please, frying them in
good lard or well-ripened butter."
(from the Octavo cd-rom Martino's Libro de arte coquinaria)

So in fact frying them in a good quantity of oil might be indicated.
They certainly wouldn't
stick in that case.

Johnnae

On Aug 29, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Claire Clarke wrote:

> Hi all,
> Having some issues with my frictelle de riso. The first time I tried
> them I
> only had one egg in the house, and I thought that might be enough,
> also I
> didn't cook the rice for quite long enough. They were a bit of a
> mess really
> and stuck very badly in the pan. So the next time I put more eggs
> in, and
> cooked the rice properly. But if anything, they stuck worse. So I
> got out
> the non-stick frying pan (to which I otherwise have an aversion),
> and they
> worked reasonably well in that. So while I have functional fritters,
> I don't
> really have them functional via a period method (ye olde mediaeval
> Teflon).
snipped