[Sca-cooks] Smoked and Pickled: Sources and Recipes?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Aug 30 09:19:41 PDT 2010

A long time ago, Elizabeth and I concluded that a cooler at Pennsic
was not only out of period but a nuisance, and stopped using one.
That pushed us into looking for period ways of keeping food for a
week or so without refrigeration.

The simplest is to use things, such as lentils or cheese or flour,
that don't require refrigeration for that length of time. Another
approach is pickling; we have one pickled meat recipe that we have
sometimes used for the purpose, and I brought pickled eggplant from
al-Warraq this year. Last night, inspired by some recent posts here,
I pickled some eggs--in a few weeks I'll see how they are.

A third approach is smoking. One can get hard sausages that keep
without refrigeration, although most of them have pork, making them
unsuited to my (muslim) persona. Does anyone have sources for smoked
meat or fish that will keep? Most modern smoked food seems to be
smoked only for flavor, and not enough for preservation.

Other ideas, experiences, recipes, and sources?
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com