[Sca-cooks] Eggs in Mustard Sauce

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Aug 30 11:29:16 PDT 2010

Hard boiling would probably be the way to go right now if you are
located
in the USA.

Consider making hard-boiled eggs rather than soft by gently simmering
them for about 15 minutes. Hard-boiled eggs last about a week in the
refrigerator.

ALTHOUGH the same article concludes

San Francisco-based food scientist Harold McGee, author of the
upcoming "Keys to Good Cooking," isn't all that worried.

Though he gets his eggs from local producers, he said he wouldn't
hesitate to consume uncooked supermarket eggs in a recipe. He would
draw the line at serving them to a pregnant woman, child or elderly
person or someone with an illness that might weaken their immunity.

But overall, he thinks the odds of getting sick favor the home cook.

"For home cooks, it's less of a problem than for institutions that are
going to be cracking lots and lots of eggs and then pooling them to
make a particular dish," he said. "The moment you start to add more
than one egg to what you're making, mathematically your odds of having
a problem go up."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iNSs_4yrBkAsXSS_rvPm_2jHNATgD9HQHSC01

Also see

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/managing-your-healthcare/digestive-disorders/articles/2010/08/20/avoid-salmonella-from-eggs-4-steps-to-take-now.html