[Sca-cooks] The Epulario / book-oids from poor microfilm files?

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sun Aug 8 13:17:30 PDT 2010

<<
of high quality historical reproductions >>

Thanks for pointing to this new marketing idea (selling printouts
of PDFs made from "ancient" microfilms, if I am not mistaken).

I have to say, however, that EEBO files are oftentimes of a degree of quality
that ranges -- sit venia verbo -- between "poor" and "lousy"
(they were made from earlier microfilms, if I am not mistaken).
Of course they are still very useful! And I am happy about EEBO
as long as we do not have better versions.
But I find the idea funny to print and even sell book-oids made
from these microfilm files.

Rather, the "way to go" should be: to produce new,
up to date images and to provide "open access" for these images.
High resolution/color for use on the screen.
B/W versions for the more common ink and laser printers of this world.

An up to date imagefile contains, among other things, metadata, a
color scheme and a size scale. Which would help Eduardo with his
question about the size of "Epulario", 1598.

Am I missing some aspects here?

E.