[Sca-cooks] Whole Sorghum

Gaylin Walli gaylinwalli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 05:29:26 PST 2010

I have a number of lovely cookbooks, but precious few mention sorghum, and
that's such a pity. But what's even more horrible is that there isn't more
information out on the internet that talks about sorghum in any other
product than bread or molasses. One of the most distressing things about
internet searching is the sheer amount of drek that's available. I can
search on any number of terms related to sorghum, but all I get is a rasher
of gluten-free websites.

What I want are recipes for using the whole grain. I've found exactly one
site that has a considerable number of recipes related to sorghum that
aren't a bread product or a reference to sorghum as a sweetener. What would
be even better is a book dedicated to the grain. Something I can touch (cue
old lady comments) and not have to deal with this new fangled internet
thingy at all (since I don't have a net connex in my kitchen. yet.). :)
Pilaf, porridge, stuffing in meats...I'm sure these are all possible and I
could experiment.

Have you cooked with sorghum grain using a recipe that wasn't bread? What
did you make? I have several pounds of whole sorghum that were given to me
for free *if* I posted creative and interesting recipes for using the grain.
Suggestions? Clearly period recipes would be better than OOP, but beggars
can't be choosers and I'd really like to wow the person who gifted me with
this bounty.

Ever in service,

Iasmin