[Sca-cooks] aebelskivers and takoyaki

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at morktorn.com
Tue Jan 5 10:41:50 PST 2010

These two things are made pretty much identically but are poles apart in
taste. Aebleskievers are about 2.5", takoyaki about 1.5" globes. The pans
are several hemispherical indents in a circular sheet (cast iron's the
best). The batter for the aebleskievers is more like a Swedish pancake (a
double thick French crepe) than popovers. The takoyaki is a thinner
batter.

The hot pan well is filled with batter, cooked to let set a bit, then
additional ingredients are added, jams or fruit to aebleskivers, chopped
octopus, scallions and ginger to the takoyaki, which sink down into the
batter. The edge of the batter is then caught with the point of a skewer
and the hemisphere turned over so it sticks up out of the well. The batter
flows into the bottom of the well and continues to cook. When done you
have a globe firm on the outside with a delicious filling on the inside.
Fun for the kind of party where everyone hangs out in the kitchen. There
are entertaining videos on the internet.

 	Linda
   mirhaxa at morktorn.com