[Sca-cooks] poached eggs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 5 18:14:26 PST 2010

Ian said:
<<<Soooo....normally, poached eggs aren't rubbery?  I presume you eat
them like
a boiled egg (salt and pepper, only)?  Or are they usually with a sauce?

As for eggs, I grew up with having our own chickens, so that was not a
problem.

So, do they have more of the consistency of a soft-boiled egg, or
something,
when cooked right?   I've enjoyed many a boiled egg, and all...but
boiled
eggs seem to retain some flavor, whereas the poached ones didn't, at
all...dunno.  >>>

Ian, it sounds like the poached eggs you've had were overcooked or sat
too long before you ate them.

I was wondering when this thread came up whether the term "poached"
egg was referring to breaking the egg into boiling water or putting it
in a poaching pan, which is what I remember from growing up. A pan
that had a plate with small depressions in it, into which you broke
each egg and then steamed the eggs over boiling water.

It turns out that both of these methods are used to "poach" eggs
according to the Wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poached_egg

Among other things the entry says "Broken into simmering water, the
white will stay clinging around the yolk, and the egg results in
cooked albumen and runny yolk." So I think your description of the egg
being "rubbery" says they were overcooked, compared to this description.

The entry gives pretty good directions. You might want to try making
your own poached egg according to their directions and see if you
don't find them better than those you've had.

Stefan
Maybe eggs would be good for dinner... hmmm.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com