[Sca-cooks] OOP: What are they teaching are kids?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jan 7 08:42:48 PST 2010

>  > We must use the term differently. Coddled eggs, where I come from, are
>  > cracked into (almost) boiling broth (or more often, stew or soup)
>until they
>>  are done all the way through. The white absorbs the broth while the yolk
>>  stays nicely, um, yolk-flavoured.
>
>I suspect you've got hold of a [possibly localized] alternate
>definition for coddling.

The recipes for Caesar salad often say the egg should be coddled by
boiling in the shell for one minute.  The point is to kill any
bacteria that is on the shell before using the nearly raw egg.

Wikipedia says "In cooking, coddled eggs are lightly cooked eggs.
They differ from poached eggs in that they are very gently cooked, in
water that is just below boiling point."

Ranvaig