[Sca-cooks] OOP: What are they teaching are kids?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 7 13:59:23 PST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Kingstaste wrote:

> Seems to me the main difference is that a coddled egg is cooked inside the
> shell, while a poached egg is not.  Am I missing something?
> Christianna

That's hard to say, because apparently, by some accounts, the only really consistent characteristic for all definitions of coddling is a gentle heat. Before today I'd have said gentle heat and some kind of container to protect from excessive heat and prevent contact between the egg itself and the heat source, such as the shell or some other small container. I now seem to be hearing that the container, even the shell, is optional.

I'm thinking this is an example of culinary terminology sprawl and the overall decay and inevitable entropy death of Western Civilization as we know it. Gold riots, atonal music, dogs and cats living together, you name it...

(By the way, I may consider offering a prize to anyone who can name BOTH movies that the preceding sentence is borrowed from...)

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter