[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern Food

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 05:10:36 PST 2010

I do have a book that I purchased from India that contains recipes for
pulaos, from "...the kitchens of Shah Jahan".  The only problem is that, in
addition to their being slightly out of period, and while the history
appears to be pretty accurate, there is no source given for any of the
recipes.  However, they do describe the way the dishes were actually
prepared in period, which I found to be very interesting.  The name of the
book is "Nuskha-e-Shahjahani" and the translator is Salma Husain, who also
wrote the introduction.  Supposedly this is from an original Persian
manuscript...so the attribution appears to be a little weird unless stuff
from the Court of Shah Jahan was written in Persian!

Kiri

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>wrote:

> Actually, I remembered there had been some discussion of whether it was or
> wasn't Mughal but not the final conclusion, and was playing safe by
> including it. Brain cells misfiring due to age.
>
> The obvious next question is whether whoever volunteered for Mughal Indian
> has sources other than the _Ain i Akbari_, or, alternatively, believes that
> the Ni'matnama is Mughal.
>
>  Cariadoc,
>>
>> You did that just to make me froth at the mouth and twitch, didn't you?
>>
>> Madhavi

>>> study.  Most of the cooks who have volunteered favor Turkish, or Mughal