[Sca-cooks] Pennsic camp food

Vandy J. Simpson vsimpson at gto.net
Wed Jan 20 07:55:08 PST 2010

Admittedly I don't do Pennsic. Haven't been for years and years, but we do several other lengthy period camping occasions, and lately I've taken on feeding extra bodies, but it would simply never occur to me to NOT be cooking medieval food. In fact, I sometimes feel 'naughty' for mixing time periods. But I just don't take new world foods along (which is how I define historic/modern.)

 Sure, I'll cheat by premaking some things and freezing, and I've started padding the menus for the extra bodies with non-historic storebought items like pita bread and dips, since my extra bodies aren't always willing to work with my timings or menus...

 But if I were to just make for meals what I'd make at home, where the heck is the vacation in that? It's hard enough to find time for period food experimentation. I can't afford/don't want to waste a minute of it!

mortraeth/vandy