[Sca-cooks] New issue of TI number 173

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 20 16:28:07 PST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Lynn wrote:

> Would Armored Turnips be somewhat of a gratin dish?
>
> Lynn the Inquisitive
>> you don't find a whole lot of gratin-type dishes before ovens, and ultimately broilers or grills, start appearing in homes).
>>
>> Adamantius

Yes, it appears that it might be (although the Platina version of the recipe does not specifically state that it is browned in an oven, and Martino's version appears to be considered a crustless torte).

Still and all, this appears to be the exception rather than the rule. As I said, you're probably not going to find a lot of examples -- Islamic dishes browned with a pan of coals notwithstanding.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter