[Sca-cooks] partly on-topic, partly off: bread

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 25 07:53:20 PST 2010

--On Monday, January 25, 2010 7:46 AM -0800 Ian Kusz
<sprucebranch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the making of bread.  Someone's going to buy me a used bread machine,
> something called a "Welbilt."  So, naturally, I have some questions about
> bread making, and I'll be mostly referring to the machine, but some of my
> questions are general questions about bread, which, I suppose, is arguably
> period in topic.

I'm not a breadmaker (finger problems make kneading painful), but I do have
a bread maker.

The best thing I can recommend starting with your new breadmaker is locate
the manual and read it. Most breadmaker manuals answer many (most) of the
questions you ask here, and provide recipes as well.  It's the first place
to start, and will cover the basics you need to start with.  Almost all
breadmakers have their manuals online, so if you know the model you're
getting, you can look at it starting today!

toodles, margaret