[Sca-cooks] Sagas and Gragas-OT

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 15:05:07 PST 2010

Don't discredit the Sagas and the lack written information as proof that the Vikings didn't write. The term Viking is a broad term anyhoo.
Many of the surviving manuscripts related to the sagas that do exists are basically in two places. One is at the University of Iceland in Reykjavik at the Arni Magnusson Institute and in Denmark at the National Archives. There are also surviving documents at the Vatican... but that thread starts in the 10th century......

<personal notes from Prof. Torfi H. Tulinius lecture Sagas about Early Icelanders >
After the Christian conversion of Iceland in 1000 A.D the native born Bishop Klaeng of Skalholt, as his first act decreed that anyone and everyone who had a manuscript of the sagas, eddics and skaldic poems and records were to send them to the King of Denmark as a gift. Many of the manuscripts were secured in this manner but many were also destroyed. It is not known how much was destroyed out of ignorance or political editing. It is documented that Irish monks were in Iceland writing down the sagas. Since it was laborious to write in runic form many educated "Vikings" wrote in Latin or had the monks scribe for them......
Further information can be found at the Icelandic Saga Museum and the Arni Magnusson Institutue in Reykjavik, Iceland-The Univeristy of Iceland.

Also on hand are documents related to feasts, meals and drinks served and the gift exchanges....

Bless Bless
Aelina the Saami

Duct Tape is like the Force: It has a light side & a dark side
and it holds the universe together.