[Sca-cooks] I Am Curious, German

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Fri Jan 1 13:47:26 PST 2010

Lauchsuppe is a leek soup and only a leek soup. In my meager experience,
whenever something is added, like the potatoes there is a change to the name
to identify a difference to the standard leek soup.
ex:Kartoffel-Lauchsuppe - potato, leek soup.
I know there is a renaissance leek soup online but I can't seem to find it
back. What I have found and compared to her description is the potato leek
soup recipe and it looks like she adapted it by substituting the sherry with
the wht. wine, the potatoes with the milk and bacon bit or chunks with
broth. I have found that most leek soup recipes when not using a veg. broth
will use chicken broth. Beef is rare but I have not come across pork but
then I haven't researched real well German soups.

modern mushroom and leek soup ingredients:
Ingredients
1 leek, 1" in diameter
1 clove crushed or minced garlic
1/4 c. finely diced or shredded carrots
1 c. finely sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp marjoram
1 c. water
4 whole allspice
sea salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: 1/2 c buttermilk + 1 tbsp bread crumbs
OPTIONAL: sour cream, cooked crumbled bacon

Bohnenkraut Torte - Bohnenkraut is summer savory. Of coarse I am confused or
she is. I think of torte as a cake and perhaps she was wanting tart, which I
think of a kind of pie. The common use of bohnenkraut is in bean recipes.

De
PS.In general I wish folks that improvise would just say so. I don't think
any less of them. I get tired of the look at "the pretty puppy" routine.
PSS. Also, if they have a period recipe that they don't want to give out
because it is their "signature dish", then say so. I may not be happy but at
least I don't have to go through their song and dance routine.