[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP: Good New Year's Personal News

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 2 00:46:09 PST 2010

Urtatim declared:

<<< Yes, after a year of searching, yesterday, December 31, i became the
pleased owner of a 2004 Honda Odyssey mini-van with most of the
features i wanted! >>>

Congratulations! We have found that it makes a good SCA vehicle. We
have a 2000 model we bought in 2001 with 30K miles on it. We now have
little over 100K miles on it. The only real problem has been with the
electric doors.  Not a feature we really wanted, but at least in 2000
you only had a choice between two models and the high-end had the
larger engine, towing package and luggage rack and some other stuff we
wanted.

We've had to replace the motors for the back sliding doors at least
once on each side. We did have to replace the alternator recently, but
at over 100K miles, I don't consider that that unusual.

It wasn't a cheap vehicle and cost about $6K more than getting another
Dodge Caravan would have cost.  But by the time we traded in our first
Caravan for the Honda, with about 141K miles on it, the fuel pump (at
$600 each time) had been replaced three times and the transmission had
been replaced twice and the water pump or alternator had to be
replaced out of town while we were at an SCA event. I think there were
other expensive problems as well, but I don't remember the details now.

If you can still get the factory service manual from the dealer, see
about buying a copy, even if you don't plan to do most of the
maintenance yourself. I'm talking about the inch thick 8 1/2 z 11 inch
maintenance and repair manual, not the thinner operators manual, which
you should have anyway.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com