[Sca-cooks] Christmas Stuff

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 5 05:06:05 PST 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 7:08 AM, Ian Kusz wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Ginny Beatty <ginbeatty at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I gave my nephew one of those cast iron pancake puff pans aka
>> æbleskiver pans. Chef Joey, 11,  loved it, of course. I'm starting him
>> young in his path to madd cooking skillz.
>>
>> Then I found out my sister had a similar kind of pan that she got from
>> our stepmother when she went to Japan. It's known as an takoyaki pan.
>> She then gave it to me. *score*!. I like this kind of re-gifting. :)
>>
>> Gwyneth
>>

> I figure this is a dumb question, but what is it USED for, generally?

Am I imagining this, or did someone say something here about octopus pancakes/fritters at some point? As I have occasionally said before (unless I imagined that, too), I forget real things frequently, but almost never remember stuff that didn't happen...

The terms "tako" and "yaki" would imply some sort of fried octopus, wouldn't it? Isn't it rather amazing that you can pick up such an esoteric bit of knowledge just from vague general exposure to Japanese restaurant menus over the years?

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter