[Sca-cooks] Wanted: Italian cookbook that hasn't been translated

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Jan 10 15:12:44 PST 2010

My daughter Rebecca was planning, for her winter term project, to
translate the anonymous Tuscan cookbook (Libro della Cucina).
Yesterday I discovered that Vittoria has already done it, so we are
now looking for an alternative. Does anyone on the list know of a
period Italian cookbook that has not yet been translated?

Along related lines ...  . I'm familiar with the _Epulario_ that's a
late 16th c. English translation of an Italian cookbook. Recently I
was in the rare books room of the U of Chicago library and discovered
that they have several 16th c. editions of the Italian Epulario--same
subtitle (only in Italian), so pretty clearly the original that was
translated. I've arranged for them to send me a photocopy of the
earliest, I think 1537 or so.

Is anyone familiar with it? It occurred to me that, if nothing else
is available, Rebecca might do a new translation. One every five
hundred years might not be too many.
--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com