[Sca-cooks] digital libraries on culinary history ...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 13 14:10:35 PST 2010

> What I find notable about it is that the woman on the right side of the
> image is holding what appears to be a bratwurst in a split roll.
> Popular wisdom is that sausages were first served in rolls around the
> 1890s, but if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing then the practice dates
> back to at least the 1600s.
>
> - Doc

It certainly looks similar to the wurst vendors I patronized in Germany
(modernize the dress and turn the table into a cart with a built in grill).
They would serve long, skinny bratwurst or knackwurst that stuck out about
six inches on either side of a brotchen.  Only thing missing here is the
mustard and the paper plates.

Bear