[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern Food

Jim and Andi jimandandi at cox.net
Fri Jan 15 18:33:04 PST 2010

Couldn't the argument be made that Persia is not "Middle Eastern"? The
food is quite different, the religion is different, the languages are
different, even the iconography is different...

I have always referred to Persia and central Asia as "Near Eastern"
specifically to distinguish it from "Middle Eastern" which to me denotes
Arabic-speaking and Arab-centric cultures.

Granted, this may be to underscore my irritation with people describing
the food, garb, dance, and music of India as "middle eastern", a common
mistake in the SCA which aggravates me to no end.

Madhavi