[Sca-cooks] New issue of TI number 173

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 21:06:30 PST 2010

According to Food Time
Dr. Pepper was invented in 1885 followed by Coca-Cola in 1886. Pepsi-1898
Hot Dogs... dawn of time?? 17th Century. Ever since they could shove left over meat into intestine casings.
Hamburgers- well domestication of cattle started around 6500 B.C. and yeast bread shortly after.
Oh and the first documented french fries... 18th century
Tacos-First documented in L.A. in 1931

Modern food to me is: Fried Twinkies, Fried Coca-Cola, Foamed Cauliflower, pasteurization/homogenization and using dry ice to create ornate foods. It continues to surprise me how many of what we think is modern food can be dated 1000 of years. My students are still shocked that the Romans ate Mac and Cheese.
Aelina

Duct Tape is like the Force: It has a light side & a dark side
and it holds the universe together.