[Sca-cooks] New issue of TI number 173

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 20 04:27:18 PST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 3:54 AM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

>> I think that she is saying some people do find it a hardship, but not that she necessarily finds it such.
>
> Thank you for clearing that up. Obviously i don't know Brekke at all. I'm feeling much more reassured.
>
> But i'm still not certain what is "modern food".

I'd say modern food is A) clearly typical of our era -- by historical standards "modern" generally means 19th century and forward, which fits in nicely with people like Careme, Escoffier, etc., in the Western, European/American scheme of things, and B) not typical of the preceding period, or most of it.

As in the SCA, ingredients are often a tip-off, sometimes cooking methods (for example, while various coal-browned and roasted foods existed for a long time, you don't find a whole lot of gratin-type dishes before ovens, and ultimately broilers or grills, start appearing in homes).

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter