[Sca-cooks] Pennsic camp food

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 06:32:12 PST 2010

We're pretty much in the same boat, though we have a different person doing
breakfast and dinners...folks are on their own for lunch though there are
leftovers and other stuff available.  Phillip and I are often the only ones
in camp the first week...maybe another couple, so we either eat out (food
court when it opens) or fix something in camp.  The second week, each person
fixes something that they feel comfortable with.  And it's rareTly period.
For the day when most of our folk arrive, I usually do Brunswick stew (yes,
Master A...I know it's not even close to period, though it does date to
colonial times in Virginia).  I do this for expediency...people arriving at
all kind of different times, the stew can be reheated as necessary.

Now I have done period food in camp.  For several years, in order to raise
money for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, we've auctioned off
a period dinner for 4, giving the winner the option of several different
types of feast.  It was very popular, and folks in our camp helped with the
cooking and setup/serving/cleanup.

Typically one person is in charge of organizing this...we (Phillip and I)
used to do this but our group has grown to the point that it's just too much
for us to do in addition to being land agent.  A camp fee is collected that
covers food, water, firewood, propane and other camp expenses.  If there's
any leftover money, it's held over for the next year.

That's about it!

Kiri

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Louise Smithson <helewyse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just for fun, what do people eat day to day at War?  I understand that
> there's a
> pretty good food court at the market, with many of the choices available at
> more
> modern malls...
>
> I must admit that the food I serve at Pennsic differs from week 1 to week
> 2.
> My camp is mostly young and consequently poor people, we have a lot of
> fighters (rapier and heavy).
> The first week we have usually 6-10 people in camp which swells to 30 in
> the second week.  I charge camp members $30 a week for food, covering
> breakfast (meat, pancake, egg), lunch (do it yourself ramen or Kraft mac and
> cheese) and dinner (meat, starch, vegetable), in addition fruit (bananas,
> apples, oranges), sandwich fixings (bread, peanut butter, jam) and drinks
> (filtered water, gatorade, milk) are always available.  And yes I manage to
> do this on a tight budget. The first week I have time to spare, the second
> week, not so much.  These factors determine what gets cooked.
> I frequently play with my food the first week, I've baked bread in the
> fire, made Macrows from scratch, invited friends over for a play date and
> made a whole spread of cool medieval food.  I have made sushi for lunch (all
> cooked fish), and grilled a whole turkey for dinner.
> The second week it is time for fast and easy and acceptable to a large
> number, out comes the cheater cottage pie (meat sauce and mashed spuds), the
> spaghetti, the stews etc.
> I generally keep it under budget by buying in bulk and buying cheaper (less
> than $3 a lb) meats.  I have to go to town once every 3 days to keep up with
> food needs and run three coolers in the kitchen.  The meat cooler, the
> vegetable "safe" cooler (gets cheese and other safe stuff), and a drink
> cooler.
> Yes it's a lot of work, and I don't tend to make period food the second
> week, with that many people it is just easier to get food on the table
> quickly.
> Helewyse

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince