[Sca-cooks] Pennsic camp food

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Jan 20 07:51:56 PST 2010

 From _Libro del Coch_ (which was online but the link appears to be broken):

"Scallion or onion tart

"If you wan t to make a tart of theses things, take whichever you want
and boil it well. Take it out of the water and squeeze it in sieve and
then chop them finely. Take fine lard and chop/grind it well, eggs,
fresh cheese, and saffron and mix all these things together and make the
tart."

Pretty straightforward. Parboil the scallions, squeeze out the water,
chop them up, put it with eggs, cheese, saffron and put it in a pastry
shell and bake.

I leave out the lard because it turned out to be simply too much fat.
I'm wondering if the cheese they were using was lower fat than what I
used (blend of Italian cheeses that comes in a ziploc-style package-
much easier to deal with in camp and it's a tasty blend).

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore