[Sca-cooks] Other modern nonsense

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 21 05:01:40 PST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 1:54 AM, aeduin wrote:

> "Deconstructed" dishes.
>
> If I'm going to a restaurant and paying them to make me food I don't want to have to finish the construction.
>
> aeduin

Deconstructionism is not without some degree of logic. Apart from the ever-increasing need to tease the jaded palates of the overindulged (hey, they pay the bills), there's an educational aspect and just a touch of a political statement regarding cuisine and its essential elements.

I much prefer the Bittman type minimalist approach -- no inedible garnishes, ever, whenever aesthetically possible let the dish garnish itself, and don't use three pots when one will do.

As for the statements regarding nouvelle cuisine, large plates and small portion sizes, yes, we all know the 80's were a funny time, but I respectfully submit that some of you with that particular bugaboo appear not to be getting it...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter