[Sca-cooks] Apicius canteloupe dish

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 22 16:57:54 PST 2010

Cailte mentioned:
<<< I found the Melon with Mint from Apicius to be very
popular when I had my Roman Meal entry at the local A and
S.  Simply cubed canteloupe and honeydew with a dressing
of wine, olive oil, honey, pepper, fish sauce (you can use
salt for concerns about allergies and things) and mint or
pennyroyal.   That's the quick and dirty recipe. >>>

Sounds...interesting.  But I've not been fond of cantaloupe.

I can't remember, is cantaloupe period for Europe or is this just a
good substitution for something else?

I don't have a copy of any of the Apicius translations. What was the
original recipe?

What else did you have/serve for your Roman Meal entry. Did you have
written documentation to go along with this? I'm wondering if it would
make an interesting article for the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com