[Sca-cooks] Apicius canteloupe dish

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Fri Jan 22 17:25:39 PST 2010

I've "The Four Seasons of the House of Cerruti" which shows an illustration
on page 35 of what is called watermelons from the east (melones indi et
palestini).  They are described as "large and sweet and yellow."  It looks
right and is differentiated from an illustration of melons (melones duces)
which are oblong, light and dark green stripped length wise and appear to be
red fleshed and watermelons (melones insipidi) which dark green and
spherical.   To complicate things my copy of "The Medieval Health Handbook"
shows a round dark green melon labeled, indus or palestinian melons,
(melones indi idest palestini).  Best I can do.

Daniel