[Sca-cooks] What constitutes modern food

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 05:50:26 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:

> Ian Kusz wrote:
>
>> Actually, I think the list of modern food should include:
>>

>> I kind of waffle about sandwiches with luncheon meat and cheese, etc. Yes,
>> they had the ingredients, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily put
>> them together that way. However, I put sandwich materials out for lunch
>> because people tend to come through at different times, and it is the
>> easiest way to manage the food.
>>
>> What you won't find in my camp: potatoes, tomatoes (and tomato-based
>> food), capsicum peppers, corn (and corn-based foods). I do not do coffee (I
>> can't drink it) but if someone else in camp wants to make it, I won't stop
>> them. I have strong black tea in the morning. It is a public safety measure.
>> ;-)
>>
>> I occasionally bring a tub of my double-chocolate brownies. I find them to
>> be excellent bribe materials. I do keep them under cover and out of sight. I
>> have a reputation to uphold, after all. :-)
>>
>> 'Lainie

Actually, I have this idea about sandwiches.

Sops are period (of course).  But what if a cook had a sop that they cooked
too long, and it became dry?  You could still eat it, but then you'd have an
open-faced sandwich with a sort of mushy "filling" with mixed meat and
vegetables.  So, would this kind of open-faced sandwich with a cooked
topping be allowed by our period police?  What say you?  I'm thinking,
cooking it down to the consistency of, oh, exceedingly lumpy mashed potatoes
with pieces of meat and vegetable mixed in.
--
Ian of Oertha