[Sca-cooks] What constitutes modern food

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 10:31:29 PST 2010

Laura C. Minnick wrote:
> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo wrote:

>> Millions of Australians and New Zealanders would be baffled by the
>> idea that a meat pie isn't one-handed.
>>
> Er, inter-kingdom anthropology here- in general, when an American says
> 'pie', they mean the 9-inch kind that you cut into wedges, usually
> fruit-filled.

*sigh*
Yes, I know-- that's why I mentioned it would be Aussies and NZers who would be baffled.  In Aus and NZ, a typical meat pie is about four inches across and meant to be eaten out of the hand.

(I don't quite see how stew on toast could be called one-handed, either.)

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
-Georgeus Gershwinus