[Sca-cooks] partly on-topic, partly off: bread

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:20:10 PST 2010

No, if you bake it in the oven, it should have a crust like regular bread, rather than bread-maker crust.  A couple caveats - preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes.  Otherwise, you've just heated up the air IN the oven, not the oven itself.  When you open the door to put the bread in, the hot air falls out, and drops the temp in the oven.
Most bread machines come with instructions on how to use it just to mix/knead/rise.  You might also find, with time and experimentation, that you want to knead for at least the last minute by hand.  Especially if you're experimenting with different flours.  It doesn't take too long to figure out what bread with properly developed gluten "feels" like.  Oertha....  what part?  You might enjoy one of those few microclimates where you can maintain a San Francisco sourdough starter year 'round, if you're so inclined.  ;-)
Femke

- Douglas Adams