[Sca-cooks] partly on-topic, partly off: bread and sourdough

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:20:55 PST 2010

Yeah, spelt contains gluten, but, apparently it's a different gluten.  Spelt
is recommended for those with wheat allergies.

Okay, another question.

Oh, and first, a big thank you to all the responders.  I must admit to
trepidation any time I take on one of the "big" cooking things.  I mean, I
was nervous about making corn bread the first time, too.  And baking real
bread is totally new.  You guys are making it easier to contemplate, at
least.

Now, I thought that sourdough kept flour from going bad.  My reason for
doing so was that it was supposedly part of the gold rush, and those guys in
gold panning shacks didn't have refrigerators.

My sister says this isn't true.  That sourdough will go bad, just like any
other thing, and that I should freeze my flour.

The florilegium shows the method of obtaining a "wild" sourdough, and
there's a site I know that sells starters.  According to the site, each area
of the world has different wild yeasts, so sourdough from one area isn't
like sourdough from another area.

I don't know what sourdough from Spokane will taste like....we're supposedly
at 2376 feet.  will that affect cooking?

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Antonia di Benedetto Calvo <
dama.antonia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Susan Lin wrote:
>
>> First - if you have a gluten allergy you're gonna have to get crafty with
>> your bread because a LOT of breads have wheat flour in them or other
>> grains
>> that have gluten so you're not going to be able to use them.  I am not
>> gluten intolerant but I know a lot of people who are.
>>
>> I know spelt and buckwheat are usually okay as well as rice and corn
>> flours.  I'm sure there are others.
>>

> Spelt contains gluten, being a type of wheat.
>

> --
> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Ian of Oertha