[Sca-cooks] What constitutes modern food

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 25 17:23:23 PST 2010

Aelina wrote:
>Do we have a time line on what is considered modern? Texas became a
>state in 1845 and prior to that it was under Mexican control. It
>would naturally have a distinct style of food with each wave of
>immigrants who settled in Texas. It's like trying to identify
>Californian cuisine.

Early Modern Cuisine begins in the mid-17th century. We have, for example:

Robert May (born 1588, he was still alive in 1665, some speculate he
died in 1685, but that is not certain)
The accomplisht cook or, The art & mystery of cookery
(first published 1660, facsimile of 1685 edition, which reprinted 1665 edition)
Prospect Books, 1994 (hardcover, 488 pp.)
Prospect Books, 2000 (paperback, 540 pp.)

Francois Pierre La Varenne (lived c. 1615 to 1678)
La Varenne's Cookery: The French Cook, The French Pastry Chef, The
French Confectioner
(yes, all three of his books in one!)
translated by Terence Scully (who else? :)
Prospect Books, 2006 (hardcover, 626 pp.)

--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita