[Sca-cooks] regional meat pies ideas

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 21:32:41 PST 2010

Well, if you mean, by "regional" that it should be based upon what grows
there, either naturally or in a farm, then pasties/pies from this region
should be:

Turkey, cream cheese/sourcream and huckleberry
beef/apple or crabapple
hmmm....what kind of food would be a good mix with pumpkins?  maybe beef,
dried berries and pine nuts?
chicken, cabbage, onion, squash?

Otherwise, for Spokane, you'd be looking at our traditions, which are fairly
wild west.  I suppose it'd be bean this that and the other.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> Depends where you want to go with this topic.
>
> This is the Midwest. You could do impossible pies (anyone remember those?)
>
> http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/searchresults.aspx?terms=impossibly
>
> such as
>

> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/impossibly-easy-chicken-taco-pie/2a1cc84e-00a8-46d3-8c8e-26867da043de
>
> Oh I know. It's the Midwest, it's winter, it's taco pie time
>
> http://www.recipe.com/recipes/savory-pie/taco/
>
> http://chowtimes.com/2008/03/14/taco-pie/
>

> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/impossibly-easy-taco-pie/cad8267c-2cb0-4dc2-b6e7-9c57a9575430
>
> Johnnae
>

>> ...this raises an interesting question, probably worthy of a topic
>> change - if you were going to make a meat pie inspired by flavors
>> traditional to your (non-meat-pie-eating) area, what would it contain?

Ian of Oertha