[Sca-cooks] Maestro Martino and grilled cheese sandwiches

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 26 12:06:03 PST 2010

Bear replied to my question asking for the "grilled cheese sandwich"
recipe in Martino with:

a recipe and his redaction, the translation of the recipe was:
<<< Get bread, remove the crust, slice it thin and toast it on the
fire to color
it, then coat the slices with fresh butter and put sugar and cinnamon on
top, then get slices of creamy cheese and put them on the toast with
sugar
and cinnamon on top; then put the slices into a torte pan and put this
on
the coals with the lid on and coals on top; when the cheese has melted,
serve it quickly. >>>

Thanks for the recipe, translation and redaction.

The thing I note here, and Bear's redaction says the same, is a single
slice of toasted bread with butter and sugar and cinnamon on top of it
and then cheese.

My definition of a sandwich is at least *two* pieces of bread with
something in-between them. Not a single slice of bread topped with
something. I'd consider that something else, maybe an open-faced
sandwich. So when deciding whether sandwiches were period or not, I've
always ruled out items that didn't involve two pieces of bread.
Other's opinions?

If a single piece of bread with something on it qualifies as a
sandwich then there are other period recipes, both with cheese and
other stuff such as butter, which meet the definition. I don't think
it fits the "grab and go" idea of a sandwich though since without
another piece of bread you have to be much more careful about spilling
it.

The other question of interpretation I have is how many times the
sugar and cinnamon is sprinkled on. I would say on top of the buttered
bread, which is also what Bear says, but after the cheese is put on
top of the buttered/cinnamon/sugared bread, Bear sprinkles with more
sugar and cinnamon. I can see the recipe being read that way, but I
can also see it not being done again.

"then get slices of creamy cheese and put them on the toast with sugar
and cinnamon on top;"

Is this saying to top again with sugar and cinnamon or is it saying to
put the slices of cheese on the toast that already has sugar and
cinnamon on it?

Picky, yes. Probably doesn't change the taste and the extra sugar and
cinnamon might add desired color.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com