[Sca-cooks] Questions on coffee

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 22:00:26 PST 2010

Being half Swedish/Fin/Saami my blood is more coffee then blood. (Help! there is blood in my caffeine system!)
 It is documented that coffee was in Asia Minor by 1000 A.D. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/coffee/ax/frame.html  It is also documented that the Varangian Guards (Viking Shock Troops) for the Emperor of the Byzantine Empire were also present in Asia minor. The deal or contract was that the Viking soldier served a term of 15-18 years as the personal guard to the Emperor. When time of service was done they were allowed to go home with whatever riches they had acquired. 18 years in country is more enough time to acquire a taste for the local beverages (coffee). Based on evidence of extensive trade between Birka, Hebdy, Gotland, et al. with Asia it is reasonable to assume that coffee would have followed the trade routes and traders. The Arabian did parch or boil the beans to prevent them from being grown outside of Arab control. It wasn't until the 1600 when coffee was grown outside of the Asia Minor or Africa.
While it is documented that coffee houses did not become popular until the 17th century, there are personal records/journals from the Swedish King and his ambassadors to Turkey  "having being compelled to drink a bitter concoction offered to him. He had looked at the black drink with apprehension, he said but learned to drink it without burning himself." (pg 125 Swedish Ways~ Lilly Lorenzen) In the same article it also talks about how Dr. Carl von Linne had prescribed coffee has a "remedy." He was the one who also discovered that he could take on an extra shift after drinking 3 cups.
This is my justification for having coffee in a Viking encampment.
Aelina the Saami

Duct Tape is like the Force: It has a light side & a dark side
and it holds the universe together.