[Sca-cooks] Questions on coffee

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 27 15:44:08 PST 2010

Coffee grows wild from Abyssinia across central Africa to the West Coast of
Africa.  Axum, which controlled much of Abyssinia and invaded Yemen in the
6th Century, fell into decline in the 7th Century and was incorporated into
Arabian Islam in the 8th Century.  There is some archeological evidence that
Axum cultivated coffee some time after the 3rd Century (coffee is not
mentioned in the Periplus of the Eritrean Sea).  Cultivation does not appear
to have been exported from Abyssinia unbtil the 15th Century.

Bear