[Sca-cooks] roasted bean caudle

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 29 23:06:10 PST 2010

Earlier this week, David said:  (I'm just now catching up)
<<< I will continue to have my roasted bean coddle in the mornings at
events
even if it is not period. >>>

Since a caudle seems to be defined as warm wine or beer thickened with
eggs, I was wondering if you were using fava or garbanzo beans or
perhaps black-eyed peas for your roasted bean coddle? I assume you are
drying them first and then roasting them? since they would just sit
there in the beer or wine unless your grind them up, I'm guessing that
this is what you are doing. Are you then mixing these grounds in with
the beer or wine? And you're then straining them out after you've
created a sort of tisane? I do assume you are doing this before adding
the egg, because after that it seems like it would be real difficult
to strain these bits and pieces of bean out.

Or do you just drink your roasted bean caudle through straws like was
done in prehistoric cultures for ales, thus leaving the dregs behind?

caudles-art       (12K) 11/21/97  A medieval drink of warm wine or beer
                                      thickened with eggs by Tibor.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/caudles-art.html
caudls-posets-msg (22K)  3/25/08  Caudles and Possets. Thickened
beverages.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/caudls-posets-msg.html
drinkng-strws-msg  (6K) 11/29/01  Period and ancient drinking straws.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/drinkng-strws-msg.html

:-)
Stefan
--------