[Sca-cooks] Tuma-tuma-tuma-ay

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Tue Jan 5 13:56:03 PST 2010

Found a comment about tuma
http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art87.htm
"Pecorino, as its name implies, is made from sheep's milk ("pecora" meaning
sheep). It is true that Sicily's sheep population is ever diminishing, but
in Italian regions, only Sardinia presently raises more sheep than Sicily.
Like Tuma, Pecorino is sometimes flavored with peppercorns or other spices.
Made throughout Sicily, where it may be considered the most widely produced
aged cheese product, it is a favourite for grating over pasta. Its taste,
though sharp, is often less pungent and dry than that of Caciocavallo,
despite a distinctive flavour and texture (it crumbles and flakes easily)."
"Tuma and Primo Sale are known, in some forms, as "Vastedda" in some parts
of Sicily, such as the Belice Valley. Made from sheep's milk, it is usually
called Tuma when tasted right out of the mould, Primo Sale when salted
lightly, and Vastedda when aged slightly longer. Like Pecorino, Tuma is
sometimes flavored with peppercorns or other spices. Unlike Pecorino, it
does not age well and is best served with ham, wines and fruits as a table
cheese. It has a sweet taste not unlike that of Provola, with an equally
rubbery texture."

Could one use the same method to make mozzerella to make tuma, using sheep's
milk instead of cow?

De