[Sca-cooks] 12th Nights

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jan 6 21:29:16 PST 2010

The Shire of Schattentor (Rapid City, SD) had their 12th Night last
weekend. Their website says Feast TBA so I have no idea what they served.

Nordskogen (Twin Cities, MN) is having our 12th Night this weekend, it is
also kingdom 12th night. There is a minimal bag lunch offered and no
feast, because the school we are using refuses to let us have access to
any facilities. It is getting very hard for us to find sites, even
churches, that will allow us to cook without requiring everyone in the
kitchen to have foodservice certificates or caterer's licenses, and the
sites that do allow us to use the kitchens are usually not very good
otherwise.

Castel Rouge (Winnipeg, MB) is having their 12th Night on the 30th. It is
a Crusades 1192 theme and the feast is TBA but will offer period foods
from Andalusia, France, and England according to the website.

The truly exciting part is my A&S project for our 12th Night, which has a
Shakespearean theme. The A&S entry must be based on "a quote from
Shakespeare" so I am doing a sheepshearing feast based on a quote from the
play "A Winter's Tale". Johnnae has been invaluable. I will admit that it
has been difficult at times to keep this within a reasonable scope--I get
carried away sometimes. :-)

I am also making lunch for our houseguests and household and whomever else
might happen by (I figure about 20 people total, most likely) because a)
that is the sort of person that I am, b) I wasn't thrilled by the site
lunch (a hard boiled egg, individually wrapped cheese, bread, a piece of
fruit), and c) it is going to be COLD and I didn't want to have to leave
site, or have anyone else leave site on my behalf, to go and find lunch
elsewhere.

The sheepshearing feast will include a meat pie, roast mutton, roast beef
(or boiled beef, either is documentable and it depends on what I feel like
tomorrow what happens to the beef) with mustard, roast chicken with
verjus, sliced cucumbers dressed with vinegar and oil and pepper
and hard-boiled eggs, and a whole bunch of sweet things--wafers, spice
cakes, candied ginger, candied orange peel, tart of ryce, and warden pie.
There will not be actual beer or ale because it is a dry site, but there
will most likely be a pitcher with a label "ale". Oh, and bread and butter
and hopefully fresh cheese.

Lunch will also include sugared almonds, spiced and plain, and lemonade,
and possibly some form of custard tart depending on how motivated I am.
The fun will be fitting all of the above and me in the Prius.

Margaret FitzWilliam